With these words, a memory came into my head of a time when I was visited a very close friend. Being the animal-lover that I am, I enjoyed spending some time with the family pets - two dogs and a cat. The cat, I was told, does not often "take to people" very quickly; however, she let me pet her a lot and even purred at this attention. My friend did not believe me when I told her that the purring indicated that the cat liked me. She said, "She only lets you pet her because it pleases her and she likes it." But now I see that this statement is wrong (to some degree, at the very least). No animal - especially a cat - would let someone come near her whom she did not trust or like. If she did not like me, she would not have found pleasure in me giving her attention! Her fear or dislike would cause her to run away.
How much more true is this when related to worship of our Creator, Savior, and Lord! If we were brought into His sanctuary dragging our heels or with a mere sense of human duty, the act of worship does not glorify God. Rather, the mere fact that one can find great pleasure, even happiness, in singing songs of praise to Him or learning more of Him, or conversing with Him in prayer honors Him as One worth our worship.
Lord, may we enjoy worshipping You more and more every day of our lives!
1 comment:
I never thought of it that way. Thank you for sharing your thoughts - definitely thought-provoking.
Post a Comment